Should there be a difference between landing pages designed for desktops and laptops and those designed for mobiles? Certainly yes! This is because the difference between the devices creates an extremely contrasting difference in user experience. Those customers who access your landing page from their mobile phones have a completely different context within which they view your page; not to forget the obvious difference in screen size.
The above factors make it extremely important for you to ensure that your mobile landing page design is created with a special consideration to user experience specific to mobile phones.
Why Create Mobile Landing Pages?
So before we begin talking about the best practices that result in the design of great mobile landing pages, let us first understand why it has now become vital for businesses to create mobile landing pages, in order to stand strong against the competition.
We all know the role smartphones play in our daily lives. However, a look into some factual data can really put the value of smartphones in perspective. For example, did you know that a study by 11Mark confirms that as many as 75 percents of smartphone owners in America are known to use their phones in bathrooms? If this doesn’t surprise you, how about this then: the same study has found out that there is a 12 percent greater chance of iPhone users making a purchase while using their smartphones in the bathroom! Now that’s an opportunity you seriously need to cash!
The concept of shopping through mobile phones is known as mobile commerce or m-commerce. In the year 2017, it is estimated that half of the entire internet purchasing revenue generated in the United States will be comprised of revenue generated by e-commerce. The need for having information available at fingertips has triggered the use of mobile phones for making purchases.
In line with the trend, a study confirms that more than 70 percent mobile phone users around the world use their mobile phones to look up local businesses before deciding where to shop. The growing trend of m-commerce is too amazing for any business to pass on.
According to a study conducted in 2016 by Business Insider, about 20 percent of the 1,000 businessmen in the United States have provided customers an option to make purchases through their mobile phones. Out of these 1,000, 32 percent more were adamant on doing the same by this year, that is, 2017. Therefore, if you haven’t already, then you really need to create mobile landing pages around your offers.
Mobile Responsive Landing Pages – Digital Marketing Tool for Success
If you want your digital marketing efforts to bring in great results for your business, then you need to get mobile responsive landing pages designed. You cannot turn your laptop or desktop upside down or sideways, can you? But you can do both the things with your smartphone; which is why as a business, you must keep that in mind and get mobile responsive landing pages designed, so your customer does not stray off of your page.
Furthermore, there are so many screen resolutions to keep track of, that it just makes sense to have a responsive landing page which can work on all different kinds of mobile screens. A responsive design is extremely transformable; it can mutate its shape, size, and structure as per the mobile users’ requirement, thereby contributing positively to the users’ experience of visiting the landing page using their mobiles.
Numerous businesses have already benefitted from having a landing page which is mobile responsive. According to Instapage Inc., Baines & Ernst was able to improve mobile conversions by more than 50 percent through a responsive landing page.
You would definitely want similar results for your business. Let us reflect upon what elements the best mobile landing pages are made up of by looking at the mobile landing page best practices.
Mobile Landing Page Best Practices – Boost Conversions & Grow your Business
The mobile landing page design plays an extremely vital role in winning conversions, which is the main objective of a landing page. You have an extremely limited time frame on your landing page, within which you can convince your visitor to convert; this time is even more crucially limited on mobile. Mobile users are quicker to switch if their interest is not captured instantly on the landing page.
By studying the design of mobile landing pages that are successful in performing their job, you can make sure that yours perform successfully as well.
1. Thumb Friendly Landing Pages: Since thumbs rule smartphones as the majority of users use their thumbs to navigate the screen, the best mobile landing pages are those which are thumb friendly. To make your mobile landing page is thumb friendly, you must ensure that the positions of buttons and the size of the buttons is appropriate for clicking with a thumb. If a user is unable to click at the right place using their thumb, they are going to switch from your page.
2. The positioning of Important Elements: Important stuff first. Make sure that the most important elements are displayed as soon as your mobile customer lands on your landing page. Smartphone users want instant information and if they have to or find it inconvenient to navigate your page to search for the CTA button, you will lose them before you can take a breath.
3. Clever CTAs: Just putting an attractive CTA isn’t enough to convince customers to convert – your CTA must be compelling enough to get customers to make a purchase. So what could be a clever idea for a CTA for a mobile landing page? Putting in your phone number as the action you ask customers to take! Because what could be easier to do on a phone than click and make a call to order?
4. Clever Content: With website landing pages, you have tons of space to say what you want. In fact, research shows that long website landing pages, especially for complex products and services, do much better than shorter ones. But who will scroll pages and pages on a mobile? So you must say a lot in a very small space. First off, avoid using filler words such as ‘a lot’ and ‘too many’. Also rather than claiming you are the best in the market, because how would a new customer know you are in-fact the best, show statistics such as the number of your customers or your price or any other figure which says you are the best instead of using those actual words. Remember, data and statistics establish authenticity, expertise, and quality instantly, which is a great technique for mobile landing pages.
5. Is your Value Worth While or Clear? Regardless of how great the mobile landing page looks or is organized if your offer isn’t worthwhile or clearly presented to your customers, your chances of winning conversions are extremely meager. So first of all, make sure you present an offer which is actually valuable for your customers and second of all, make sure you have clearly communicated it on your landing page. If your customers don’t understand the offer, how can they make the choice to convert? Clear, bold and attractive headlines, subtitles and bulleted content are some ways you can try to ensure your offer has been clearly presented.
6. Mobile Landing Page Optimization: An important best practice used by businesses, who have successful mobile landing pages in their digital marketing portfolio, is the regular practice of mobile landing page optimization. A mobile optimized website keeps performing over the long term since it keeps on delivering results and winning conversions through optimization. The thing is that tastes shift and change in the digital world at a pace faster than you can imagine. A landing page design may perform extremely well at one point in time and fail miserably the next week or the next day, as soon as tastes and trends change. Through the practice of mobile landing page optimization, such changes are catered for, thus ensuring the landing page keeps on winning conversions, as customers behaviors evolve.
7. Speed Matters: First, keeping your design elements in control is crucial. Because complex elements may make an amazing design but would affect the loading speed negatively. And if a page takes long to load, mobile users close the window in a jiffy. So rather than losing your customer due to a slow speed, make sure you keep the loading speed optimized. Second, keep the page uncluttered to reduce the time it takes your customers to find the CTA and understand the offer. And third, you must reduce the time it takes your customers to actually get to avail the offer. This means you must make the process speedier, by reducing the steps your customers have to follow before they can place the order. This means reducing the fields on your form and limiting them to a few essential ones.
If we sum it all up, you have to give your mobile audience what they want, in an extremely optimized manner, as soon as they land on your page. This is because not only do you have an extremely limited space, but you also have an extremely limited attention span of your customers.
So make the most of the opportunity available to you, by following the mobile landing page best practices. Professional designers can help save you time, effort and money by designing mobile landing pages for your business, based on the best practices being implemented by numerous businesses, who are doing well by having the best mobile landing pages winning conversions for them.